Monday, July 6, 2009

Check out the chard!

DSCN1023

This year I decided on a whim to try some swiss chard in the garden. I have a vague memory of my grandmother growing swiss chard in the garden, and sending some home with mom and me when we visited in the summers.

I bought this rainbow chard - the stems come in different colors, though it seems to be mostly white, yellow and magenta. It looks pretty though! (Don't mind the owl overlooking the chard - he's just hangin' out.. perhaps watching for chipmunks, maybe enjoying the sun, we're not sure. He's pretty demure).

So tonight I went out and gathered some chard. I cooked it very simply tonight because I was also making a veggie primavera that was a bit more... time-consuming I guess you could say. Anyway, I sauteed some onion and garlic in some olive oil, added the swiss chard, put in a bit (few tablespoons) of chicken broth, and then let it sautee for awhile. Seasoned with salt and pepper - it was wonderful! Now Mike wants to plant a whole raised bed of chard next year. I do think that perhaps I should have planted more!

I have to say one of the fun things about having a garden is that the kids are much more willing to try things. They stroll by the green onions and pull some of the tops off and nibble on them... they pull mint leaves and do the same. Well, Daisy is one of the pickiest eaters I know, and has already made it clear she does. not. like. spinach. I explained swiss chard was like spinach, and lo and behold... she decided to try it! Of course in her typical style, it had to be a small bite with a separate fork (God forbid the chard taste linger on her pasta fork!). As it turns out, she didn't like it ("blech!"), but hey, I give her points for trying.

No comments: